TripTik Girl

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Love is in the air...

We're going out tonight to celebrate the recent engagement of our friends Nora and Jamisen and I'm reminded of Marc's proposal almost 3 years ago.
Please join me as I travel back to May 10th 2003..............

I had gotten back from a work trip a couple of days earlier when Marc sprung weekend plans on me. We had been invited to a party at his boss's house..something I dreaded. It's not that I don't like the man, but when all I hear is Marc's bitching about him, it's hard to keep pleasant thoughts running through my head.
I woke up that Saturday dreading the worst. I was figuring that my period was a few days late which left me in a panic. I was at a point in my life where a baby wouldn't necessarily ruin my world, but did I really want to put the cart before the horse? My plans had always been to get married, then have the kids. I hadn't even finished school yet--something I had promised my parents when I moved in with Marc. I summoned the courage of Scarlett O'Hara and decided not to worry about it until tomorrow. Besides, I've been a couple of days late before with no disasterous outcome. I was probably just a bit tired and stressed from the work week.
On the way to the party, Marc wanted to drive through the Cranbrook campus where we had one of our first pseudo-dates (We met at community college in a Geology class. A project for class required us to go to the Science building at Cranbrook to identify some rocks). We hadn't been back to Cranbrook since and he thought it would be fun to reminisce.
We parked near the soccer fields where we had parked before (no, not that kind of parking!). I wasn't thinking anything was up. In fact, I was glad that we were wasting some time before the party--less time we had to spend there! Marc then suggested that we get out and sit on the large log that was serving as a parking block. Still, I had no idea what was about to happen.
As we sat watching some distant kids play soccer, he started to talk about the past 5 years and how happy he has been and how much he loves me. Slowly, he reached towards his pocket and my heart started beating so hard that I thought it might beat right out of my chest!
He handed me a small white box and asked me to be his wife. I was in shock! There in front of me was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen...wait! Scratch that! Nestled in the plush velvet, was the ring I had fallen in love with a few months earlier while perusing a jewelry store for kicks with my sister. He had paid attention!
My cheeks started to hurt and I realized that I had been grinning like the Cheshire cat. I told him "yes", but was immediately reminded of my late period. I pushed those thoughts aside as I tried on my new jewelry. Still grinnin' like a fool, I reminded him that we were going to be late, and did we really have to go to Ron's house? He then made my day for the second time--there was no party...it was just a ruse to get me out to Cranbrook without suspicion! I didn't know what I was happier about--becoming his wife, or not having to go to his boss's house!
We spent the rest of the day showing off my rock and ended at a bar, celebrating with some friends.
3 years later and I still can get "perma-grin" thinking about that day...I love you, Marc!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home